Saturday, August 14, 2010

HEALTH IS WEALTH


Being diagnosed with even a mild hypertension at an early age of 27 way back in 1977 wasn't a good prospect for my future life. Knowing it early was a blessing as I know what to do so as not to aggravate the ailment. The doctors told me to watch my diet, sleep well, watch my weight and above all exercise. All relevant points to note for all those afflicted with hypertension.
I led a pretty active life prior to 1997. Playing tennis to sweat it out was like a must in my daily life. Things changed when I became an internet junkie hooked on the internet relay chat or IRC. All those who had suffered the same malady as me will understand the situation. This addiction continued to the end of my working days that is till the end of 2005. Being a weekend husband who will only return to the family located 185 kms away provided the ultimate opportunity for me to stay online till the wee hours of the day. I know I was getting any healthier with that kind of life.
A change of lifestyle was needed. Though I can opt for another year of service, I prefer to retire just to be with my family and lead a new lifestyle.
It was time to regain my health. I need to sweat it out. My earlier investment of a step machine did not work as it was boring to work on. Fortunately I did not invest on a stationary exercise bike as it was just as boring. The mountain bike and all the other bicycles that I had just continued to collect dust.
I made a great mistake when I invested in a massage chair. Take my word that the massage chair is not the way to health. Fortunately my brother in law offered to buy the machine at a highly discounted price. Now it was time to look for another machine to help me to exercise.
Scouting the malls in Kota Bharu took me to fitness shops selling a multitude of exercise machines. The treadmills fascinated me. Nowadays only motorized treadmills are being sold so I won't be making the mistake of buying one that is not. The problem was how to make a choice. There were so many brands and specifications to choose from. Reebok, Gintel, Takashima and many others from Taiwan are available ranging in price from RM2,000 to RM6,000 which is the price range I am looking for. Some brands and models come with attractive freebies in the form of other fitness machines. The top of the line model from Gintel comes with a free massage chair.
After several look and see at the outlet, we finally decide to buy a Takashima due to the many models available with the specifications I had in mind.
Utmost in my mind is that the machine must be powered with a minimum of 2 HP motor. Anything below will not stand the vigorous use. Other specifications are the presence of built in programs for the workout, pliant board that will not stress my 60 years old feet (the heart maybe as old but you know the owner always feel it is younger than its chronological or physical age) and any other features will be a bonus.
The model we decided upon was Takashima Fitness 1 Advance series TK 551. Thanks to Fikry the sale staff who made the recommendation and put in an effort to make the sale.


Using the machine doesn't mean that I will get the look and shape of the model, but it is an inspiration to become one.


Reading the user manual helped me to understand better on how to use the machine because the sale staff may not know everything. One thing I learned is not to start the machine while you are standing on the board. Step on the board only after it has started moving as it will help the motor to have a longer life since it is not stressed. This was not told to me by the staff.


Trying out the F1 Advance at the outlet at KB Mall before making the purchase.


The sale staff with Fikry in the middle while Ramlah the KB Mall outlet head was busy preparing the necessary purchase orders.
A week later the delivery was made to my home. The delivery was within the two weeks promised.

The machine in it folded position for storage. As a comparison, the American made Reebok will just have the board folded and not the motor.
The console of the treadmill has a built in speaker and will accommodate an MP3 player or a hand phone. One of the program has a voice instruction accompanied with music. I prefer my house radio to keep me company.


The display monitor is large enough to show the time elapsed or remaining depending on the program, the speed in kmh. the distance in km, the pulse, the incline from 0 to 15 percent, the calories burned and program used.
The maximum load this machine can take is 120 kg. So if you are a fatso weighing over 120 kg, please get the Reebok which has a 3HP motor.
Thus far I have only done a maximum of 30 minutes walking a distance of 2 km. with a speed ranging fro a slow 2 kmh to a maximum of 7 kmh and an incline of 2 percent. That was more than enough to burn 70 calories off for a day and make me sweat. My maximum pulse rate is 135 beats per minute and I was told to not exceed the 150 beats being a 60 year old. They give you the chart as a guide on the maximum pulse that you should attain. A pull on the safety magnet switch will automatically switch off the machine and one end of the string to the switch must be attached to your apparel to ensure the machine will be cut off should a user fall from it.
Stretching is an important exercise to do before using the machine. The process will prepare your body for the strenuous exercise and prevent injury. Doing it after the exercise will help your body to cool down. Many people are reluctant to do this stretching exercise.

Since the exercise bike was given free, I made use of it if the wife happens to be using the treadmill at the same time. Actually we paid RM200 extra to get the bike of the model below. The one actually given free with the treadmill seemed too flimsy for our liking.

Since the doctor has advised my wife Fatthiyah to do some exercise and lose some weight, she was as eager as me to use the machine. Doing it together will definitely be more fun as the other will egg the other on to complete the programme.


The machine on its own will not do much to improve your health. Only by using it will it helps.
My aim now is to bring down my weight by 5 kg. I started off at 80 kg. With the fasting month on and a minimum of 3 times weekly 30 minutes workouts, InsyaAllah I will achieve it.

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Salam & Selamat berpuasa.
Health is undoubtedly our most valuable asset.Well,it's a great exercise machines this enable you walk & jog indoor & work yourself to sweat without going outdoor.
All the best.....

Pak Zawi said...

Awang,
Yes it is a great machine cos at my age brisk walking is most suitable. Placing it in the open porch of the house make it as good as the outdoor shilded from the sun and rain but all the fresh air I need.
Selamat berpuasa to you too.

Anonymous said...

wah papa...ada treadmill baru..baru senang nak jog kan? semoga papa n mama sentiasa sihat :D

yanie

Pak Zawi said...

Yanie, papa rasa Yanie pun patut ada satu di Subang Alam untuk kita sama sama sihat. Angah pun dah mula naik perut tu, kalau tak jaga jadi macam papa juga la.

Pak Idrus said...

Zawi, it is better to do aerobic.i.e just walk around the community than using those machines. Most folks buy these machines and would use it at the beginning and eventually would forget about it and then it just gather dust or became a towels hanger.

Anyway do have a nice day.

Pak Zawi said...

Pak Idrus,
Thanks for the tip. I think I will put the machine to good use for as long as I can and when I am unable to use it my sons will be ever willing to have them, so it wont be wasted.

Tommy Yewfigure said...

Salam Pak Zawi,

Keep this up and u'll be call up by Stallone, Arnie & Willis to be cast in The Expendables 2.

Keep it PZ, lovely to see couple indulging in activities together.

Selamat berpuasa & keep fit!

Tommy

Pak Zawi said...

Tommy,
I will be happy just to be able to walk around the neighborhood without the aid of any walking stick for sometimes. Yes indulging in the same activities does help us to get going. We need to keep fit to enjoy the travels that will only be done together.

Unknown said...

..health is, indeed, wealth..and for me, nothing beats brisk walking along Irama Beach..somehow the sound of soft waves lapping by make you feel younger..along with the morning/evening birds..:) cheers

glassman said...

Salam Pak Zawi,
I once had a waistline of 40 plus inches.
One day, as I was in the waiting room at a private clinic, I browse thru the frames on the walls.
One of them gave hints and points out that our stomach is like a balloon. The more we fill it, the bigger it will expand. The good news is, we can reduce the size of our stomach just by cutting down on our food intake. Meaning, if we eat a plate full, we cut down just a quarter of it,or 75% of what we use to eat. I was able to run up a flight of stairs after about a month! Without the panting. :) But as human beings, we tend to forget, and now I found out that my waistline is back to 40 inches again after some 5 or six years since that day in the clinic. Guess I'll be cutting down on my food intake again. Luckily its also Ramadhan, which should be a great help. I hope to bring it down to maybe 34 inches or less!

Wan Sharif said...

Salam Pak Zawi,
Glad to know that you and spouse are taking steps to live healthily..
I have since stop my exercise for 13 to 14 months now.. will insyaAllah follow the good examples set by you and some other blogging friends.
Selamat menjalani ibadah puasa..

jaflam said...

Slm Pak Zawi, you made the right investment for health. The machine is so handy and you can hop on it any time your are free rain or shine, nite or day. Its all about self disciplined and commitment towars exercise for healthy and happy living. I bought one about 1 year ago and never regret it since my wife and kids are using it too. All the best and Selamat Beramal Di Ramadhan AL Mubarak

Pak Zawi said...

Pakmat,
Lucky for you to have the soft sand of Irama beach to cushion those heels when you brisk walk for your exercise. I have to invest in a machine to have the same facility. Doing the same along the scenic bank of the scenic Kelantan River on the hard tarmac is too hard for my ancient heels. Bila kita nak jumpa?

Pak Zawi said...

Glassman,
Salam kembali. To attain 34 inches is a dream for me as I will feel quite comfortable if I could attain and maintain 36 inches. Anyway my overall objective is now to reduce weight by 5 kg. and I don't mind from which part of the body it will be taken off. If they excess fat around the waist becomes the natural point of weight loss, all the better. Let us keep fit. The fasting will definitely be a help.

Pak Zawi said...

Wan Sharif,
Salam. It is great if you are inspired by our move to exercise. A 30 minutes 3 weekly workout is all it takes to do it. InsyaAllah we can feel the difference after doing it regularly for sometimes.

Pak Zawi said...

Dato' Jaflam,
Salam Ramadhan. I am glad that you concur with me on the score of the usefulness of the machine. Yes they are just a machine and we are the one who will ultimately determine to make it useful. It will definitely be useless if left idle. We are intent on making it work for us by working on it. Let us keep healthy for whatever bonus years will be given to us by Allah.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Salam, Abang Zawi! Pak Idrus is right -- many people buy exercise equipment thinking it would motivate them to exercise more. The equipment normally end up becoming expensive pieces of junk. My housemates, both overweight and with hypertension and high cholesterol levels, have a Stairmaster which just became another thing for us to trip over or stub our big toes on. I have no exercise equipment, on the other hand, but get plenty of exercise doing housework, gardening, volunteering, walking to destinations within 5 km and playing football on the weekends.

Wishing you and your loved ones Selamat Berpuasa and a blessed Ramadhan!

Pak Zawi said...

Ee Lynn,
Hahahaha. That will motivate me to prove to you the machine will be put to good use. A friend of mine is into his third treadmill after making the following mistakes: First purchase was a non motorised treadmill with just a magnet to produce friction. Then he bought a motorised one but with just a 1.5 hp motor and finally he bought a new one which is above 2 hp.
Once I am no more capable to use the machine, one of my son will take over as he is an active sportsman. let see if you prediction is true.

Sad Open said...

Salam Ramadan Pak Zawi.
You are an example of older people who enjoy life to the fullest.
Those machine surely will make you even busier..what's more with face book and blog.
Some young generation today does not even think to stop smoking, let alone to exercise like you.
Nice pic of you stretching it could be mistaken of a pro athlete..hu hu just joking.
Happy fasting Pak Zawi. Nice posting.

Pak Zawi said...

Sad,
I quit smoking some 15 years ago. At the height of it I was smoking a pack of lucky strike (non filter) a day.
We have to take care of ourselves and knowing what course of action and the will to do it is important. Make it into a challenge and somehow success won't be too far to achieve.

ZABS said...

Salam and selamat berpuasa Zawi.

All the best in your quest to bring down the weight. Take care.

MUHAMMAD BIN MAT JUNOH said...

Wow Pak Da, what a nice trademill!! Nak suggest pd Pak Da jg utk guna Rx Water-produk Dr Noordin Darus. Since badan kita 70 % adalah air. So air memainkan peranan penting utk kesihatan tubuh badan.

Pak Zawi said...

Zabs,
Salam Ramadhan. Thanks for the wish.

Pak Zawi said...

Muhamad,
Bagus juga tu minum air sedemikian kerana kini terpaksa minum air banyak kerana kuat berpeluh.

Zuera said...

You go dad...keep healthy...trim down a bit...

Pak Zawi said...

Long, doing my best, may not get any slimmer but fitter yes!

Adib Noh said...

Salam Pak Zawawi,
Selamat Hari Raya,Maaf zahir batin.
Patutlah demo la ni nampok mudo;-)
Tahniah for getting a treadmill and enjoy the run.I suggest you use both the machine as well as getting out to some nice place to run,eg by the sea or the river or in the garden.

I am running(actually brisk walking 5-8km/hr) about 4 to 5 times a week at the taman bunga near my house and I do go to Putrajaya and FRIM.My average distance is 5km and I have walked 10km in 2 hrs-nothing great but I am trying harder.This 26Oct2010,my sons and me are taking part in Olympic Day Run of 7km.As a senior veteran,to get medal I must do it in 90min.So far my best time is 80min.You can read about my 'sporting activities' (walking/cycling) at my blog http://adib.typepad.com/wellness
As the Chinese proverb says: Health is the Crown jewel of Wealth.Two years ago my weight was 8okg-now I am 74kg.During the mid Ramadhan,my weight has dipped to 72kg!
Enjoy your run and take care.

Unknown said...

Salam Pak Zawi,
Dok cari2 write up about treadmill nih. Tersangkut kat blog Pak Zawi :). Jap gi saya nak gi cari jugoks. Berat nak cecah 60kg dah ni. huhuhu...sungguh susah hati.

SJ said...

Salam Pak Zawi,

You have had the treadmill and bike from Takasima for more than a year now. Just wondering if you have had any issues with them. Are they still working and how often do you use them?

I'm planning to get a treadmill for my dad and the family.

SJ

Unknown said...

Warm Greetings!




Today, I visit your website and after reading your blog i realize that it is very informative. I'm highly impressed to see the comprehensive resources being offered by your site.


Thanks and Regards



Motorised trademill

Unknown said...

Hi Pak Zawi,

I am thinking of buying a takashima threadmill. Would like to check how is your takashima unit going ? Did they keep up with the service that they promise?

kindly help me as i am not sure to buy from fitness concept or takashima. am only considering takashima becos of warranty / service they promise.

thanks
carol